Andrea Diaz and Gabriela Quijas
Every year during September, New York City in the United States becomes the epicenter of several of the most crucial events for the future of the world; this year: the 78th United Nations Assembly, the New York Climate Week, the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) Summit and the UN Global Compact Global Leaders Summit. During these days, world leaders, activists, entrepreneurs, scientists and citizens from all over the world gather to update, discuss and propose solutions to climate change, one of the most pressing problems for humanity.
Some of these events, particularly those related to the SDGs, are organized by the United Nations Global Compact, which is a voluntary initiative based on commitments that companies sign to implement universal sustainability principles and to take action to accelerate the path towards the SDGs. Sistema.bio has been a member of the Global Compact since 2022 and is thus part of a network of more than 17,000 companies, NGOs and foundations in 160 countries that promote all aspects of corporate sustainability.
This year, Sistema.bio LATAM had the opportunity to attend the United Nations Global Compact Global Leaders Summit, for having been awarded the LOGRA Award of the Global Compact Mexico in the PLANET category. LOGRA is a platform for sharing and learning about different sustainability initiatives and projects carried out by companies adhering to the Pact. The project that Sistema.bio nominated for its impact on SDG 7 Affordable and Non-Polluting Energy, and which eventually won, was “Energy security for Mayan communities in the Yucatan Peninsula“, an action carried out together with the International Renewable Resources Institute (IRRI Mexico). Under this program, since 2021, 1,500 biodigesters have been installed in 14 Mayan communities with a high degree of marginalization with the aim of promoting sustainable development, improved health and food sovereignty in the region. Here you can read more information about the news!
So it was that for a few days, Sistema.bio, along with the other winners of the different categories of the LOGRA Awards, had the opportunity to participate in different sessions and inspiring conferences that sought to challenge companies to move faster in meeting their sustainability goals and contributing to the 2030 Agenda. The launch of the “Forward Faster” campaign called on companies to have measurable, credible and ambitious goals aligned to five systematic areas: gender equality, climate action, living wage, access to water and finance and investment.
Among some of the other topics highlighted during the events was the use of technologies and artificial intelligence to facilitate data collection, monitoring and measurement processes to facilitate business reporting. Also the linking of young people in decision making and the need to generate partnerships between business, government and civil society to accelerate the adoption and implementation of the SDGs at all levels.
In addition, among the most relevant and worrying data, it was discussed that, with only 7 years to go before the deadline of the goals set out in the 2030 Agenda, only 15% of the SDG targets have shown some progress, while the other 85% have not progressed or have even regressed. So, faced with this urgency, what should be done? The international community is calling for collective action, promoting coordination between companies and sectors and innovation.
In this sense, Sistema.bio’s goal of reducing 1% of annual greenhouse gas emissions through our technology by 2030 is fully aligned with international efforts.Biodigesters are an effective mechanism to reduce the carbon emitted in small and medium-sized farms around the world and respond to several of the needs mentioned above.Sistema.bio plays a fundamental role in this crucial fight for a sustainable future and we share the sense of urgency to act and meet the Sustainable Development Goals targets, both internally and by helping others to achieve them.