- New financing will build on Sistema.bio’s growth in 2021, a year in which the company increased its sales by nearly 70%, delivered carbon offsets to a growing carbon market and increased geographic coverage through new distributors.
- Financing will strengthen partnerships and distribution, carbon reduction activities, R&D efforts and overall operations in LATAM, Africa, and Asia-Pacific.
Sistema.bio works through three axes: technology, capacity building, and financing to address poverty, food security, and climate change. It manufactures and distributes high-quality, affordable, and modular hybrid biodigesters that enable farmers worldwide to be energy-efficient and fertilizer independent. By providing flexible repayment plans and comprehensive monitoring services, farmers can acquire and operate biodigesters to collect and treat farm waste, resulting in clean biogas and rich biofertilizer. Sistema.bio aims to deliver clean energy and organic fertilizer to over 30,000 new farms in 2022.
Sistema.bio is the 2019 Ashden Clean Cooking Awards winner, Schwab Foundation Social Innovation awardee by the World Economic Forum, and the 2017 Buckminster Fuller Institute Finalist. Alex Eaton, CEO and Co-founder, is an Ashoka and Endeavor Fellow since 2011.
- Source: Sistema.bio data. All figures as at 31 December 2021.
KawiSafi Ventures is a Kenya-based fund manager focused on inclusive climate investments across Africa. Its first fund, KawiSafi Fund I, is a $70 million fund focused on energy access in East Africa. KawiSafi I reached its first close in 2016 and has since invested in 10 of the leading companies driving the energy transition across the continent. It targets firms at the nexus of radical affordability and rapid decarbonization which are delivering or enabling affordable, clean energy for low- and middle-income markets. To date, KawiSafi I’s portfolio has impacted the lives of 134 million people and helped mitigate 24 million tonnes of CO2. KawiSafi Ventures is sponsored by Acumen Capital Partners, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Acumen.
About AXA IM Alts:
AXA IM Alts is part of AXA Investment Managers and a global leader in alternative investments with c. €168 billion of assets under management as at 30 September 2021, across real assets (real estate & infrastructure), private debt & alternative credit and private equity & hedge funds. AXA IM Alts employs over 750 people located in 16 offices around the world and serves the needs of more than 500 clients from Europe, North America, Asia Pacific and Middle East. We are a global leader in real assets investment with c. €102 billion of assets under management, the number one property portfolio and asset manager in Europe, and one of the largest worldwide.
- Source: AXA IM data (unaudited). All figures as at 30 September 2021.
- Source: INREV Fund Manager Survey, June 2021. #1 largest European managers in total real estate assets under management.